After way too many hours of work, I had one support for the closet shelves installed.
I checked the mark I had made the day before and then drilled the first hole for the second support. I started with the top hole and then installed the second support and checked that it was still level with the first support.
Once I was satisfied with the levelness of it, I marked the spots for the next three holes. I had to slightly loosen the top screw to be able to drill the holes, but it worked out.
In case you didn’t believe me that I used my hands with the 1/2″ drill bit, here’s the proof!
After the holes were drilled and the rest of the anchors and screws tightened, I fiddled with them a bit to ensure it was perfectly level.
This is the shelving unit I’m using (though the supports are from MintCraft). The going-out-of-business sale that I frequented didn’t have enough shelf supports in the size I wanted, so I ordered more online.
I had also befriended someone in those last few days that was able to cut a longer shelf in half so I’d have enough shelves. Like the true math major I was, I got the math wrong, and the two halves aren’t equal…
But it’s installed! And it looks great!
As I was admiring it, it didn’t seem level with the existing rod and shelf. Back out came the level to see where I went wrong.
Well look at that! The original shelf isn’t close to level!
Then it was time to actually use it! I had a plastic set of drawers from my last apartment that I was looking to get rid of. I put most of those things on this shelf, and also swapped some items with those in my dresser.
I need a few bins for some smaller items, but I’m very excited for this addition!