I had tried to fix the phone jack over the dining room table once, and it didn’t work. The working phone jack is next to my bed, which meant the phone cord traveled all the way over to my dresser.
Since that’s not where I want the phone (and the phone needs to be hung from the wall and not on a table), I decided to move it before I painted.
Time to remove the box and cord! A simple screwdriver opened the box.
Then a few more screws to release the wires and remove the box from the wall.
NYC apartments have a tendency to be painted every time they are rented, and everything gets coated in paint. This included the phone cord (and also doorknobs–which I’ll get to another time). A utility knife cut through the paint around the cord.
And needle nose pliers pried the staples out from the wall.
No more cord running up the wall! I’ll sand and fill in the holes before I paint so there’s no trace of the previous cord and box.
The cord ran around the apartment via the baseboard, which didn’t get as much paint as the walls, and the cord pulled free quite easily.
I worked my way around the apartment until I got to the box where the cord got split in two.
I cut the cord down to the appropriate length for the box above the dining table, and unsheathed the wires.
Then I had to disconnect the old wire, and connect the new one.
And then hang the phone!
Now I just need to work up the confidence to ask the doorman to call me to see if it works. Cross your fingers and wish me luck!
PS. Title courtesy of this song.