Remember how just a few days ago I was excited after my screw driver attack was successful? Well, I took on the fire escape gate, where I won the battle but lost the war.
This is where I left off, with the riffraff removed, but the gate remaining. It’s interesting that there’s a gate at all–it’s not required, and the left window is on the same fire escape as the one with the gate!
I started with the gate itself, which was attached to the frame by three hinges.
Luckily, one of the screws had already been removed for me! It only took a little elbow grease to get the other eight removed. The harder part was moving the gate off the sill–those gates are heavy!
And now it’s so much more open!
Then I turned my attention to the remaining metal pieces. The bottom and top have three screws each.
The first screw on the bottom came out fairly easy. The other two…not so much. Since this is on top of the radiator space, I’m tempted to think that the bottom part of the screws aren’t in wood at all, making it harder for them to come out. I finally got the radiator cover back in place, so I’m not eager to open it up and take a peek.
Well, ok, let me try the vertical part.
Again, one of the screws was missing! But the remaining three on this side were just as impossible to get out as the two bottom ones! Though I’m not entirely sure what they’re problem is. I think it’s simply a matter of pulling on the metal piece as I’m unscrewing–though that made a loud noise and didn’t seem to make things move much.
And after those two strikes, I decided to not even try the top metal piece. So things are back to normal, where the apartment beats me at what should be simple tasks.