{House} Please Don’t

Well, it’s on to the last of the items previous renters and owners had added to the window.

It’s two plastic pieces, which look to be clips for blinds…

…and a metal piece, which could also be from the blinds.

Both of those were easy to remove (with the manual screw driver).

Then there are two of these things.

I’m not sure what they are, but they weren’t easy to remove.  They’re also fairly small and already painted over a few times, so I’m temped to leave them, and they’ll blend in.  No one’s the wiser, except you for reading about it here 🙂

The bad thing about the items I removed, is that they had used anchors!

What kind of blinds need anchors into the window frame?!  I tried prying one out with a screw driver, but wasn’t successful at getting it out.  I might just end up painting over them or trying to cut them with a knife.

And then there are the two from behind the metal piece…which are directly in the metal window frame.

WHY?!  Please don’t!!  I can’t repair the metal frame.  While it bothers me that so much was screwed into the wood moulding around the windows, that’s easy to repair with some filler and a coat of paint.  The metal frame doesn’t get painted, so there’ll always be two holes in it.  So please don’t do this to your house!

On the up side, I got a goody-bag out of the deal.

Behold, all the pieces and screws that came off of the window!  Even with a few small things left behind, it’s still been a successful mission.

Advertisements

{House} Alright Already!

I seem to have a lot of issues removing screws (I’ll save myself the embarrassment of linking to them all here).  Every time it happens, someone suggests I get an electric drill and try that.  I have a drill, but I felt weird about using it for those sorts of projects.

My drill, courtesy of my dad.

First up, was trying it on the door knobs.

Nope, didn’t work for that one…

…and didn’t work on that one either.  Those two screws are flat head, and it seemed like the drill couldn’t catch on them.  It was also a tight fit for the drill in the small space between the knob and the plate.

Then I tried it on my most recent foe: the fire escape gate.

It took a minute or two for me to get the drill in the proper placement, but then a few seconds of drilling at full speed (once I set it to reverse) the screw came out!  The next seven came out so quickly, I wondered why I hadn’t tried this before!

Ahh, the window keeps looking better and better!  The bottom metal piece is there because the sill and moulding are very dirty, and I didn’t want to look at it.  And there’s a few more small bits around the window that I’ll have to remove now too.  Luckily I have a new trick up my sleeve 🙂