{Home} Cut, Measure, Cut Again

Once I decided on how to make my earring holder, I had to cut out all the strips and notches. It took a few hours while watching Netflix, and taking multiple breaks to rest my hand and have some snacks.

Then, I needed to figure out how far apart I wanted them spaced on the frame. It took a little bit of coordination to eyeball how far apart the strips should be from each other so my earrings didn’t run into the row below.

I made some marks, measured, made more marks, measured again, and then made marks on the other side.

I counted and only needed eight strips. Some of the notches were too narrow for earring posts, so I spent more time with my trusty pair of scissors to widen them.

They still need to be attached to the frame, and I think my staple gun should do the trick. Hopefully it doesn’t make too much noise that I disturb my neighbors!

Advertisements

{Home} Remaking My Jewelry Storage Situation

Back before I moved to New York, when I lived in a large apartment, I took a scrapbook organizer and made it into a jewelry storage case.

It’s worked pretty well for the past few years, but the longer I’m in New York, the less stuff I want to have. Also, the large storage case made it hard for me to see what jewelry I had as I was getting ready, and it never really found a proper home in my small NYC pads.

My dressing room has two closets: there’s a mirror hanging on one, but the other is empty, and it looked a little lonely. I thought displaying my jewelry on that door would be the perfect way to easily see all my baubles, and it would look pretty, too.

I spent a few hours scouring the internet for ways to organize my earrings, and this organizer gave me inspiration, even though it seemed small and crowded. I spotted a similar one at Bed Bath and Beyond that seemed cheap and flimsy, as did some of the reviews for my inspiration. Well if they can sell one made of flimsy plastic, then I can make one out of flimsy cardboard! And a $5 frame from Goodwill.

I’m not joking–yet another time that not taking out the recycling played in my favor.  I had measured the door and decided a frame about 12 inches wide would look the best, and luckily I was able to find one pretty easily!

I took apart the cereal box, and marked lines every 3/4 inches for the earring support bars.

Then, using a scrap piece of the box, I decided that it looked best when the earring holder slots (technical term) were 1/2 inches apart, and marked those.

I tried it out on one strip, and it worked perfectly!

Now I just have to cut the rest of the strips, and a lot of little slots, before I can finally assemble the frame.

{House} Using Shrooms

When I moved in, the water was very slow to drain out of the bathtub.  I had the super snake it, and he caught a huge wad of hair.  I promised that I would get some kind of hair catcher for the drain.  I used two different ones this past year, but come December, the water suddenly didn’t drain as quickly as it should.  I asked him to snake the drain again last week, and he grabbed a small clump of hair. Again, I promised that I would get a better hair catcher for the drain.

I had seen these funky drain catchers in two of my friends’ bathrooms, and wondered how I missed the memo!  Bed Bath and Beyond sells them, so I grabbed a 20% off coupon and picked one up.

I chose grey instead of white, since I was afraid that the white would discolor more than the grey would.

It works pretty well, though I think my drain is slightly too small for it. As more hair collects throughout the shower, the water starts to back up. I’ll have to report back a year from now if it keeps the pipes clear from hair!

{House} Touch Up

After I finished all the stripes, I noticed a few spots that needed fixing. Some of the pencil marks I had made were still visible, and I had overshot the tape in other spots, leaving shiny paint outside the lines.

I used a wet rag to remove the pencil marks, and marked with tape where the extraneous paint was.

I broke out the can of wall paint again, and feathered it over the visible spots.

Finally, it was time to move my stuff back!

All fancy and welcoming.

I think it looks kind of like a present.  Happy new year to me!

Edit: My mom wanted to see the before and after, so here’s a picture from when I moved in.  Sooo boring.  I love how much personality this tiny space has now!

{House} Fully Striped

I finally finished the stripes! After all the preparations, it was time to use my abundance of two ounce paint bottles. As it turns out, I only used four bottles on the first coat for the stripes.

diy paint tonal metallic stripes entry way hallway taupe beige

The second coat went a little easier. Plus, I switched from a brush to a roller. The roller left fewer visible strokes in the metallic paint, but I learned to roll down so the roller marks weren’t visible either.

diy paint tonal metallic stripes entry way hallway taupe beige

Then I peeled up the tape, and voila!

diy paint tonal metallic stripes entry way hallway taupe beige

The room looks so different without the blue tape everywhere! I freaked out for a quick second that I had painted the wrong stripes next to the door because of the way the light hits the metallic paint. In the picture below, the light colored stripes on the long wall on the left are the wall color, while the darker stripes are the metallic stripes, but on the sliver of wall next to the door, it’s the opposite!

diy paint tonal metallic stripes entry way hallway taupe beige

The subtle tonal stripes are so fun! I only used eight bottles of paint, which leaves me plenty of paint left to do something else. Worst case scenario, I’ll have a very awkward exchange with a Michael’s worker.