{House} It’s a Learning Process

I was young, eager, and green at the beginning of the year when I declared this the year of the kitchen.  Even though I had grand plans to do most of the paperwork before my exam, I didn’t get in regular contact with the property manager until June.  Since then, we’ve talked every week, and she’s been my go-between with the co-op board.  While I believe I have the skills, know-how, and can-do spirit to renovate the kitchen myself, the board is not so optimistic.  Now I’m on the hunt for a general contractor to supervise the job.  I’m hoping to find a GC that will allow me to work alongside them.  Then, fingers crossed we’ll be able to start the project sooner rather than later!

As part of the process (both for me and the board), I created a major to do list for the kitchen!  I even published it under “The List” for safe keeping.  I marked it with items I expect to purchase, as well as approximate costs.  I’m budgeting $15-20k for the whole remodel, but it will probably be on the higher end, given that I need to hire a GC now.

In the mean time, I’ve ordered my cabinets!  After some research, I’ve decided to use Ikea’s high-gloss white cabinets, as they’re DIY friendly, and cost effective.  Ikea’s summer kitchen sale ended this past weekend, and after confirmation from the property manager that the cabinets were fine, I plopped down a few grand on half the cabinet order.

I’ll be back soon with more details on the kitchen!

Advertisements

{Home} The Longest Project

When I was moving to New York, I wanted a more collected look for my apartment. I picked out these bentwood back chairs on eBay, and coincidentally was in the city where they were located to pick them up. I brought them home, where I spray painted them red, and replaced and upholstered the seat in a coordinating fabric.

However, the seat circles weren’t perfectly round, so they didn’t fit snugly into the chair, which meant I never attached them together. To solve both issues, I bought some cording at Joann Fabrics (which involved multiple trips to multiple stores).

But some four years later, I finally completed the project! I bought a glue gun from Home Depot (thanks to a friend for the gift card!), which indicated it could be used for fabric and wood.

It took a little finesse to attach the cording, but I got it to stick.

Then, I had to act quickly to glue all the way around and squish the seat cushion to the chair.

I repeated the process on the second chair.

I’ve even already used one chair, and it held up! Technically, this project isn’t over yet, as the seat for the third chair is broken. So I need to cut a new circle and upholster that one before I can use the remaining cording to finally have a complete and matching set of chairs.