{House} Dressing in a Darker Color

When I was painting the entryway and dining area, I also painted the dressing room the same color (Benjamin Moore Apparition).  Somehow this tiny room took almost as much time as the larger area!

First up was to remove everything, which was just the mirror and chair.

There was a lot of cutting in, since I was also painting all three doors and mouldings.

First coat down!

The second coat was more of the same (thought on a different night), and then it was time to put the mirror and chair back!

I really like the color I chose!  It’s darker (and less shiny) than the white that was there before, but I think it’s the perfect dark white color–if there is such a thing as “dark white”.

{House} Good as New

I had so much fun patching up the holes and dents in the window frame, that I knew my next stop was the disaster I left after I removed the cord to nowhere.

It was a little more tricky than the window, since it took more finesse to get into the corner of the wall and ceiling, and smooth things out enough.

Then there was the mess at the bottom of the wall.

I think I did pretty well!

Now I just have to sand and pick a paint color.  And then actually paint…

{Home} Shining Once Again

Shortly after I arrived back in NYC with the light, I asked the super when he’d be able to install it.  After a minor scheduling hiccup, he came over yesterday to help.

It didn’t take me very long to reassemble the light.

This was the old light in the dressing room.  It didn’t even have a shade!

Taking it down wasn’t very difficult, but we did run into an issue when one of the screws in the box was rusted into the box itself.

The super’s solution was to drill a hole through the top of the box, and put a screw through that!  Which was a much easier solution than the other idea I had–install a new box.

Things were going along fine, until it came time to fit the canopy.

See the gap (the silver threads showing)?  He wouldn’t let that stand!  So down it came, and he cut the threads down by over a half inch.  Then back up it went!

It’s hard to get good pictures of it, but it’s beautiful!  Such a nice and regal addition to the small space.

{Home} The Speed of Light

After living there for over forty years, my grandparents moved out of their house when I was in college.  I made trips down to their house to help my mom clean it out and take things back to keep.  On one of the trips, I noticed the chandelier they had hanging in their master bedroom, and asked if I could have it.  The next time my dad went down with my mom, they brought it back.

And it sat in that box for many more years, until I had a place to install it.  Which I now do!

It was heavily coated in dust and needed a good cleaning, so I got to work.  I took it out of the box, and quickly had a helper to investigate (that’s one of my parents’ cats).

I noticed how the crystals were attached to the fixture, so I could put them back in the correct place after everything was all cleaned.

Taking the crystals off was easy.  I took two yogurt cups and added warm soapy water to soak the crystals (I’m hesitant to use anything that will be used for food after cleaning projects like this, which is why I re-purposed the yogurt cups).

I used a microfiber cloth with the same warm soapy water to clean the fixture.

It took less than an hour to clean the whole thing.  It’s amazing the powers that soapy water have!

But there was still the issue that this is at my parents’ house, and I needed to get it back to New York.  So I carefully rolled up the crystals, and put them in a cloth bag to carry onto my flight back to the city.

Now all that’s left is to reassemble the light and install it!

{House} Cord to Nowhere

Just like the phone cord ran up the wall (which–BTW–the phone works in its new home!), there was a mysterious cord running up the wall to nowhere in the dressing room.

img_7643

It went up one side, around the ceiling, and down the other side–both ends of which were cut!

This is the other box I referenced in my first house project.

img_7644

(I’m still not sure how to remove that box, as there was no obvious way for me to open it.)

Just like the phone cord, I cut the paint around the cord with a knife, and then pulled out the staples with pliers.  I guess I didn’t get cut the paint well enough (plus there was more paint on this cord than the phone cord) which resulted in more damage to the ceiling and wall than expected.

img_7645

Nothing that can’t be easily fixed before I paint!