{Hannah} Hey Sole Sister

I don’t want to miss a single thing you do–lyrics everyone thinks about me and this blog, right?

I’ve replaced the tips on my high heels, but I had yet to venture into replacing the larger heels and soles on my boots.  After a few slips, and too many click-clacks of the plastic heel, I googled around for how to resole a shoe or boot.  I didn’t find anything too helpful, other than the basic: cut up some rubber and glue it to the bottom.  Sounds simple enough!

I ordered a large sheet of shoe rubber, grabbed the Shoe Goo I already had, and picked up some small nails.  On a pair of ankle boots I had done by a cobbler a few years ago, they put some small nails to hold the rubber, and I thought that could be a useful thing for me as well.

I traced the bottom of the boots onto the back of the rubber with a silver sharpie.

Then I cut the shapes out, and cut the heel part off from the rest.  Yup, some silver got onto the boots, so I colored over it with a black sharpie.

I was squeezing the Shoe Goo bottle so hard, that the bottom of the tube opened up!

It made it easier to get out large amounts of glue, which I spread with my finger (because that was the best tool I could find for the job) onto the bottom of the boot and onto the new rubber sole.

The glue takes up to 48 hours to dry, and without anything holding it in place, I noticed the sole shifting around.  I wrapped most of the boot in yarn to hold the sole in place, but the heel wasn’t as easy to wrap.  Instead, I used the nails to hold it in place.

It seems obvious now that you can’t get nails into a plastic heel, but it didn’t occur to me at the time.  I ended up removing the nails once it had dried.  There was some excess rubber hanging over the edges of the boot, which I removed with a utility knife.

But the important thing is that it worked!  I’ve been wearing these boots for a few weeks, and the new sole has much more traction than worn down rubber.  Also, the boots have a little extra cushion to them.

Last night, I resoled another pair of boots the same way.  Instead of using nails to hold the heel rubber in place, I stood the boots up and put a water bottle inside.  It worked to keep the heel plastic pressed to the new rubber.  Now I just have to be patient for another day before I can wear them!

Advertisements

{Hannah} How Do You Know…

…if someone’s run a marathon?

Don’t worry–they’ll tell you!

still smiling for my fans after 23.5 miles

Last Sunday, I ran the TCS New York City Marathon!

I got tired around mile 16 after going over the third bridge (there are five), and started walking through the water stations at mile 18.  Since I started out faster than I should have, I was still able to finish in 4:28:08, which is under my goal time of 4:30.  For my first marathon (and one of the toughest marathons at that), I’m pretty proud of myself!

My name was even printed in the New York Times–check out about a third of the way down the first column below.

I celebrated post-race with my parents and friends, and with lots of pizza and cake.  I was pretty sore for a few days, but I’m mostly back to normal now.

I printed off a few pictures and put them in a frame from Michaels to commemorate my accomplishment.

I’m not sure if I’ll run another marathon, but like an “inspirational” quote had said: there’s a lifetime of knowing that I have. 🙂

{Hannah} Thirty and Flirty and Thriving

I took a break from studying to celebrate my thirtieth birthday this past weekend!

It started with a 90s themed Shabbat dinner at a synagogue where I help with the young adult events. Then on Saturday, my friends and I went to the Spongebob musical and out to dinner.

To wrap the weekend, I ran in the United NYC Half Marathon like I did last year. I didn’t have goals going into the race, but I surprised myself by running two minutes faster than last year!

My next decade is off to a fantastic start–can’t wait to see where it takes me!

PS. Post title from 13 Going on 30, which I watched again this weekend.

{Hannah} Holey Dress

If you haven’t figured it out, I like to shop secondhand, which means ending up with less than perfect items. I found this dress at Goodwill, but it wasn’t until I got home that I noticed it had quite a few tiny holes.

I wasn’t able to darn the holes like I’ve done before, since the fabric is a silk wool blend, and the knit is very fine. I googled around, and came upon this tutorial, which seemed like the perfect fit for me!

I picked up some Stitch Witchery and fusible interfacing from Michaels, and got out my iron and ironing board.  I also cut a piece of parchment paper to prevent the Stitch Witchery from sticking to the ironing board and got a light dishtowel to act as the pressing cloth.

I set the iron on the wool setting with steam, and got to work on the three holes I had originally found.  It went by pretty quickly!

I got into a groove with cutting and pressing, and wound up with over ten spots that got fixed.

With all the warm weather we’ve been having recently, I can’t wait for spring so I can finally wear this dress!