I’m sure you’ve noticed I haven’t been writing. Yes, I’m still alive. Yes, I’ve done a few projects. Yes, I can catch you up!
First, some sad news. Remember the phone I worked so hard to connect to the building’s intercom?
Well, it doesn’t work anymore. Not because of me, but because the building joined the 21st century, and got a new intercom that calls your cellphone! It even has a Bluetooth option, so you can unlock the door with your phone!
Now, some exciting news: I’m a trend setter!
Better Homes and Gardens did a piece in their April 2018 issue on using color to influence the feeling of your home, and one of their “Calming Hues” is the same color I used to paint the living room: Silver Satin!
In other news, I’m still hoping to get my kitchen renovated this year, and I submitted my proposal to the co-op last week. Fingers crossed they approve it quickly, and I can get that ball rolling!
Even though the rain isn’t gone.
There’s only one set of windows in the living area, and they were very dirty.
No one comes to clean the outside of the windows, which meant it was up to me to clean them. Luckily, I didn’t need any fancy equipment–since the windows are fancy! They’d been replaced at some point, and now they fold into the apartment when you release the clips.
Then I took some window wipes and wiped them down. I went thru quite a few wipes to get them clean!
Cleaning the top window was a little trickier and required some balancing. I guess I could’ve researched how to do it before I started, though.
Well, it’s still a little streaky, but it’s much better than it was before! Note to self for next time: don’t clean windows when it’s dark out.
The summer before I moved into my college apartment, I found a tray in the garage. It had belonged to my mom, but she said I could take it and make it my own–which meant spray painting it silver, and adding a leftover piece of aqua fabric.
I used the tray like that on my dresser in my subsequent apartments, but with my pretty refinished dresser, it was time to make the tray match–which meant stripping off the silver paint, and revealing the old gold tone.
I must not have taken a picture of it before, in all it’s weird spray painted finish. I stripped it with the same stripping process and tools as I had used on my dresser.
Then I cleaned the fabric with a quick rinse in the sink, and it was ready to be glued back into place with some ShoeGoo (hey, it works!).
Yay! All my toiletries are corralled up!
It not only keeps things looking tidier, but it also helps protect the refinished dresser. Win win win!
Or just me, and just in my apartment. Because I made a big mess while stripping and refinishing the dresser.
The bags were easily picked up and disposed of. However, underneath the bags, there was some damage to the polyurethane coating on the floor.
It was kinda rough, so I scraped at it to remove the bubbled parts of the coating.
Lesson learned: I should’ve been more careful with the stripper.
There were also some places where it looked like some stripped paint had adhered to the floor.
Those were also scraped up.
Another lesson learned: I should’ve taken more care to protect the floors.
The floors are generally in decent condition–the wood itself is nice enough to keep, but it needed to be refinished anyway. Since I have a small apartment, I decided when I moved in that I would refinish the floors when I move out. Luckily there isn’t too much damage to the floors, and it’s only on the coating, so it should be ok until that day comes.
PS. You’re never too old to listen and sing Barney songs.
Shortly after I started refinishing my dresser, I was going through the pictures on my phone, and I couldn’t believe that my dresser used to be painted! Despite the fact that I had lived with it painted for almost three years, I was already so used to seeing it without the paint.
But now it’s all wood and shiny and beautiful!
The light-colored wood has this really great grain to it, which almost seems like a tiger eye.
I don’t think I would’ve bought this dresser a few years ago if it looked like this, but I’m so glad I did! It’s truly a one-of-a-kind piece, and I’m so proud of myself for taking the time and energy to restore it to its former glory.
Also, there were some letters engraved into the hardware.
A quick google searched turned up quite a few results! Turns out those letters (G343 KBC) is from Keeler Brass Co. I found their catalog via the Smithsonian Museum archives which has this hardware on page 62. I messaged the company to ask when they manufactured this style, to get a better idea of the age of the dresser, but they never responded.
Here are all the posts in the dresser refinishing saga if you wanted to relive the process step by step:
Short, Dark, and Handsome
Nice Legs! Show Me Your Drawers
All Oiled Up
Wax On Wax Off
All that Glitters is Gold
Onto the next project!