It’s Rosh Hashana, and I’m spending it back home with my family. Hope you have a wonderful holiday if you’re celebrating! I’ll be back next week with more posts!
The exterior doorknob to my apartment had been missing a screw for at least as long as I’ve been living there. The door still worked, but the knob was loose and twisted more than it should.
It’s a simple fix really–just get a new screw! But finding one of the set screws for it was more challenging than it seemed, as I had to go to numerous hardware stores in order to find a store that carried them and then wait a few days for them to be back in stock. Finally I was able to spend my hard-earned fifty cents on the small brass set screw.
I made sure the knob was in the proper position to turn the latch, and I screwed in the small screw.
Now it works like a charm! The knob is still the same, but it feels like new to me!
Keeping up the wedding/bridal theme I’ve had going on (no, Mom, not for me), I attended a friend’s bridal shower yesterday. As a friend of the bride, I was given the task of assembling the bridal bow bonnet made from the wrappings of the presents she received.
Of course I got very into it, and everyone was impressed with how it turned out. Another friend suggested I post about it on the blog, so here it is!
It was quite simple: take a large paper plate, poke some holes in it, and feed various ribbons, papers, and anything else that was on the present into the holes. Some of the pieces of wrapping and tissue paper were secured by wrapping ribbons around them, and tying long ribbons into a large bow before securing onto the plate. I even made a chin strap out of a piece of ribbon.
As a bonus, one of the games we played was “Guess How Many Kisses are in the Jar?” And I won! I had guessed the exact number…which should probably be embarrassing, but hey–I’m the one that walked away with the chocolate!
Happy Bridal Shower! Can’t wait to celebrate at the wedding in a few weeks!
PS. There were 273 kisses in the jar! Anyone want to bet that I’ll have eaten them all by the end of the week? (Two reasons why I’m still single, perhaps? LOL)
At another friend’s bachelorette party last month, we went to a winery for a wine tasting. They had some snacks for us to nibble while we drank, and one of the dishes was blood orange infused brownies. They were so delicious and summery, we just had to ask for the recipe! The woman told us it was so simple–just a Ghirardelli brownie mix, where they replaced regular oil with blood orange olive oil! They even sell the infused oil at the winery. I wasn’t a fan of any of the wines, but I did walk away with a bottle of the blood orange infused olive oil.
My apartment building is having a pot luck cookout tonight, and I knew those brownies would be the perfect thing to bring! However, anyone that knows me knows that I refuse to use boxed mixes. Luckily, it wasn’t too difficult to modify the Ghirardelli brownie recipe I’ve used before to incorporate the blood orange infused olive oil.
Blood Orange Infused Brownies (adapted from Ghirardelli’s Brownie Recipe)
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking bar
6 tablespoons blood orange infused olive oil
1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease an 8×8 pan.
Melt baking bar and let cool slightly.
Add olive oil and brown sugar, and mix until blended.
Add eggs one at a time.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, add to chocolate mixture, and stir until combined.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour into greased pan, and bake about 25 minutes.
Let cool and cut into pieces to serve.
Here’s to hoping they’re as big of a hit at the party as they were at the winery!
My friend’s bachelorette party was almost two months ago, and one of our favors was a decal to put on a shirt. I thought it would be cool (and a little silly) to wear it to the brunch after the wedding! I’ve seen shirts get iron-ons before, but I also looked it up on Google just to make sure I had the process down. I had a white shirt from Target that’s been sitting in my drawer unworn, and this seemed to be the perfect use for it.
I figured out where I wanted the decal to be placed, and got started laying everything out on the ironing board.
Then it was just back and forth, back and forth, rubbing it in with some force, and leaving the iron to do its job. I alternated between the cotton and linen settings, since it wasn’t seeming to stick well to the shirt.
Eventually the paper started to burn and I got impatient. I had been checking how it was coming along, and decided that I could claim it was a “vintage” look if the decal didn’t completely transfer. I pulled the decal up carefully, reheating some areas as necessary. Once the backing was up, I decided to heat-set it, grabbed a new sheet of parchment paper, and ironed the decal again.
However, the decal was very stiff, and had completely transferred in a few places which looked weird. I’d read that you can make things appear older by using sand paper, so I broke out my sanding block to try!
I’m not sure how well it worked, but it seemed to help a little bit.
And now here we are, and I’m wearing the shirt to their post-wedding brunch this morning. Happy Wedding!