Like most NYC apartments, mine does not have central air conditioning. However, unlike many New Yorkers, I don’t “need” AC, so I’ve yet to use a window unit. But there was already a window unit in my kitchen when I moved in.
I was content to leave it and figured it would be removed when I redo the kitchen. But then a friend was looking for another unit for his apartment, so I volunteered mine.
There were a few metal bars and screws to take off before the unit would come free from the window.
And that’s how the window sat for a few weeks. But the more windows that are open, the more air circulation in the apartment. I wanted to get one of the original screens, but I couldn’t find the company or it was too expensive to have one custom made. Instead, I got one of these expandable screens for $20 just as the store was closing.
It took a few minutes to position it properly in the window, but it fits perfectly!
Now I get extra air and no bugs. A win-win in my book!
It had only been a few days since hanging up pictures in the dressing room, but at 6 am on Sunday morning, the “Good Fortune” cross stitch came crashing down–startling me awake.
This same picture had fallen down in my last apartment, but that was over a year after it was originally hung up, and this time I had replaced the Command Strips. Yesterday when it fell, the back of the frame fell off and a piece of it broke (just the frame stand, but still).
To hang it up again, I decided to use a Command hook.
And it’s back up.
Now I just have to hope that this isn’t a sign my good fortune is running out!
It’s been over two months since I painted the dressing room, but it doesn’t feel that long ago! I finally got around to hanging some picture in the empty corner above the ghost chair.
I took out some of the pictures I hadn’t used yet, and arranged a few of them on the floor.
Then I used 3M Command Strips to hang them on the wall.
I had accidentally hung a few of them off center or crocked, but the Command Strips for pictures are kind of like Velcro, and it was easy to reposition the frame.
Just a little added cheer for getting ready in the morning, and any time someone goes to the bathroom!
We actually spent two nights in Venice, though they weren’t contiguous. The first was the night before the cruise, which we spent on the island of Lido.
Sunset as seen from the boat to Lido
That morning we walked along the main road on Lido and spent some time chilling on the beach. The water was the perfect temperature! Of course, we had pizza for lunch.
The canals in Lido were so beautiful
We took a vaporetto (the public boats in Venice) up the Grand Canal to the cruise terminal. We got an awesome view of the Rialto Bridge as we approached and went under it.
When we returned from the cruise, we stayed on the actual island of Venice. Venice has a biannual art show called the Biennale, where various countries have an artist represent them. It’s all modern art, but some exhibits were more interesting than others.
This art piece was like being in a tree fort
We spent the rest of the day wandering around the narrow streets, enjoying the canals…
…and taking in the sights like Piazza San Marco, the Doge’s Palace, and the shopping on the Rialto Bridge.
Because we were in Italy, we managed to eat pizza for both lunch and dinner, and have gelato three times!
It was a short amount of time in Venice, but we felt like it was enough to see the whole island (though there’s of course more we could have done). The next day my friend flew back to the States, and I was on my way to Berlin!
After the incident, I asked the super for suggestions to prevent a reoccurrence. He suggested filling all the holes and gaps in the bathroom. I asked about using caulk, and he said that should work. So off to Lowe’s I went!
I got the fancy caulk gun that has a built in cut hole and spike (technical terms), and assembled them together.
There weren’t many places in the bathroom that I felt that a large bug could sneak through, but I started in this corner where a wall tile had fallen.
Globs of caulk later (and with the help of a few fingers), I felt confident that this corner has been plugged.
I then turned my attention to the built-in laundry hamper.
It seemed like there were some gaps between it and the wall, so it got a border of caulk.
I got carried away with my new-found power, and caulked a little section of the shower.
Not the prettiest job (and the old caulk should really be removed), but an improvement.
Now just have to hope it keeps the creepy crawlies away!
PS. Thanks to my friend for the post title!